Pages

Sunday 14 February 2010

Detailing a Skull

I have been working on a large project now for around six months, and now it is in its final stages. Working with a company called Medi-Mation I have been using Zbrush to texture, edit and add to an existing commercial anatomical model. I won’t go into much detail on here as of yet until the project is complete and a bit more out in the open. One thing I can talk about is a part of the project that relates to my personal work, and that is creating a disarticulated skull. There are many digital models available on the market today and quite a few skeletal systems, and many more skulls, but only a few disarticulated skulls. Something I have been working on and will be taking further today is a 'very' disarticulated skull with even the ethmoid separated in order for the viewer to achieve further understanding. This is not a particularly easy piece of work, primarily because of what is available to research. I am using as much MRI data as I can find a complete cast of a skull, a disarticulated cast of a skull, Sobotta's Atlas and Gray's Atlas, and scanning the internet for photographs.

I have searched around for a 'museum quality replica' and there are a few, for around £800-£1000 and so it’s a big pay out in order to ensure correct detailing. The plan of action is to work in stages, and so I have decided to complete stage one as a basic model suitable for s single rendering purpose, and then do some reading in order to understand the form of the skull better before either purchasing a an mq replica or visiting universities and museums with my camera. I will post some sneak previews on here soon, but it will most probably be of a single piece, and a complete skull, leaving the full reveal until completion.

A sketch by Leonardo da Vinci